 Off-Topic / Debate / 20988
Re: US finds evidence of WMD at last !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:00:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   As for the WMD’s, for me the discovery of those mobile labs was sufficient. I can see no logical reason for those labs to exist beyond the development and concealment of WMD’s. What was the last claim I heard? Mobile fertilizer testing plants? does anyone really believe that? Why does no other country in the world use similar devices? Is Iraq’s fertilizer technology just so much better than everyone elses?

It sounds to me like you are shooting from the hip. Can you support your claims?

First off I thought everyone was generally shooting from the hip, our debate points here on a message board dedicated to fans of Lego aren’t going to change policy. Most of my politically “like minded” friends laugh at me when I tell them that my favorite place to debate is Lugnet.

My favourite place to debate is the pub, but that’s another story. ;)

However, it is evidence you asked for, so I tried my darndest to find it:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-05-28-iraq-bio-weapons_x.htm

This first article is from the AP story describing the discovery of the mobile bio-weapons labs, and dismissing the alternative explanations. This one has the Iraqi claim that these mobile labs were used to produce hydrogen.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/14/sprj.irq.labs/

I tend not to trust US media due to its “liberal” bias and its blind support for all things Bush... ;) (1)

Here’s a couple of quotes for you:

Two ‘clean’ trucks - the evidence so far http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolitics/story/0,3605,965918,00.html

==+==

A joint report by the CIA and Defence Intelligence Agency released yesterday concluded that two trucks found in northern Iraq equipped with laboratory equipment represented the “strongest evidence to date that Iraq was hiding a biological warfare programme” but it conceded that no traces of biological agents had been found, nor was there any indication that they had been used for that purpose.

==+==

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1367879,00.html

==+==

“Two months after the war, finding just two rusty trailers - its clear the Bush administration has a credibility problem,” agreed John Pike, a defence analyst at GlobalSecurity.org.

“Contrary to what Mr Bush tried to convince this nation of, Saddam Hussein did not constitute an imminent danger to this nation,” Byrd said.

“The Bush team’s extensive hype of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq as a justification for a preemptive invasion has become more embarrassing. It has raised serious questions about prevarication and the reckless use of power,” he added.

==+==

i.e. the trucks are not proof, only “evidence”... just like the Bible is evidence of God’s existence... or my lawn is evidence that the world is flat. ;)

What the tucks are not is proof of a concerted Iraq WMD programme.

But if you want to trust a cowardly draft dodger who cheated his way to the Whitehouse to lead your country on an illegal war... that is up to you!

This second article is from back when Colin Powell first described these mobile weapons labs, Hans “Inspector Clouseau” Blix claimed that he was aware of these labs, but believed them to be either food inspectors, or seed processors.

Hans “Inspector Clouseau” Blix was doing a pretty good job... compared to Bush. ;)

I will readily admit that I am not a biologist, and the creation and combination of these elements is well beyond my understanding. Here are the questions that just doesn’t sit right with me. If these labs were created for a legitimate purpose, why were they camouflaged and hidden? Why did Husein not simply produce one of these vehicles after Powell described them, he could have welcomed inspectors to tour the facility while it was in use. This whole thing is really suspicious, whether you buy the critics explanations or not.

Here’s some other questions:
  1. Why use a canvas sided truck for bio-research?

  2. Why have no traces of bio-weapons been found?

  3. Why did the Iraqis not destroy the trucks rather than clean them?
Scott A

(1)e.g. See: Fox News: Fairly Unbalanced http://www.american-partisan.com/cols/2003/hall/qtr2/0402.htm

==+==

Fox’s links to the Bush administration are unmistakable. Fox News President Roger Ailes was President George H. W. Bush’s chief media consultant, the architect of his nasty Willie Horton campaign. Instead of choosing professional news journalists for his anchors, Ailes has chosen anchors like WSJ editorialist David Asman and conservative columnist and former Bush speechwriter Tony Snow, who is anchor of Fox News Sunday. A recent analysis of Fox News guests by the press watchdog Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) showed an 8 to 1 ratio between Republican and Democratic political guests on Fox News political shows.

==+==