 Off-Topic / Debate / 20675
  Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

"Dixie Chicks 'get death threats'" (URL) one's fun too: (URL) recall this happening with The Beatles and the famous thing Lennon said? What I am getting from some of you is that free speech is not without risk. Fine, I don't mind well-reasoned, (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) I had to reply as this is a time that I actually find myself agreeing with hop-frog. Death threats are not only inappropriate, but illegal, and should not be tolerated. If you want to call the Dixie Chicks traitors, or unAmerican, go ahead, (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti writes: <snip> (...) And wasn't that the exact point that Timmy was trying to make? At least, that's what I read. Dave K (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) -title of yahoo link You Chicks couldn't carry a tune if it was strapped to your backs. Your lyrics neither rhyme nor scan. Ya stink! -->Bruce<-- Last house on the left, kinda turned at a funky angle (looking out window waiting for nude (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Um, treason is a very specific crime with very specific actions that define it as treason. We aren't even in the ballpark with what that reporter did. And databasing protestors seems harmless until you realize that the FBI wants to create a (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) agree completely. as mentioned before, limits to free speech exists. and they are threats and slander. (...) while i agree that the spirit of these actions might be anti-constitutional, unless the police take any further actions, it's hard to (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Absolutely astounding?! (...) Definately not good. (...) Clearly the greatest threat to our country and Freedom comes from D.C. (Gee, there's a shock) -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Normally I am better with the cites, here's this one on Slashdot (with user comments): (URL) the original cite: (URL) bit: ---...--- * Expanded use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which permits the government to conduct (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

New debate direction alert!! On the issue of the reporter, I think there is a common confusion (in my opinion) between freedom of speech and priviledge of access. The reporter has access to mass media dissimination of his speech that most of us do (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Agreed. Equal protection under the law means that the government (which has the force initiation monopoly, remember) has to take all unlawful actions seriously. These people making threats need to be found and prosecuted, in my view. (...) I'm (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Actually, it must be remembered that the government, then using force in accordance with written law, is exercising contract enforcement, which is 100% approved by Libertarian philosophy. Maybe I don't like it, maybe you don't like it, but (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) I am not clear on the particulars, but I think broadcasters do have to give air time to those with opposing views. I think it works that way at the local level, or at least it used to. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the FCC has backed (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) I disagree. There should be no grey area here: you either have the right of unfettered assembly or you do not. The government has no right to infiltrate a group on the mere suspicion that they will act violently. Please see: (URL) not quite (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) That's not a settled point, so I'd wish you wouldn't assert it as if it were. (...) Nor is that settled. But larger-ly, what's the bearing? Do you disagree that a just government (whether you think a non libertarian government is just or not) (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) You're kidding, right? You're saying, in effect, that you are free to assert your opinions as facts, but I'm held to a higher rhetorical standard? (...) Since you're the one on the outside making the claim contrary to the existing system, it (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) No, we're to the same standard I would say. (...) There's no better defense than the market of ideas in this sphere but I do not have to prove a point to your satisfaction or else "cede" it. There are other possible outcomes. (...) Well... (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Pardon? If we're held to the same standard, then why do you feel free to dispense little nuggets as if they're revealed truth, but you require me to prove my arguments? (...) Let's hear them. Perhaps, instead of saying "you" in that context, I (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) Neither prove nor cede, merely leave it as an acknowledged point of disagreement. (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?

(...) I can go with that. Might come up again in the future though, depending on circumstance. Dave! (21 years ago, 27-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)