 Off-Topic / Debate / 20675
20674  |  20676
Subject:
Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:35:04 GMT

"Dixie Chicks 'get death threats'"

this one's fun too:
http://i.timeinc.net/ew/covergallery/img/2003/may22003_708_lg.jpg

Anyone recall this happening with The Beatles and the famous thing Lennon said?

What I am getting from some of you is that free speech is not without risk.
Fine, I don't mind well-reasoned, passionate discourse from all sides --
that's 100% the american way! But death threats?  Isn't that basically
saying you don't have the right to express yourself?

The NYPD has reportedly been keeping the names of anti-war protestors on
record.  In other words, they were not freely allowed to express themselves
without fear of govt. interference -- they have been databased and are being
tracked! Isn't that basically saying you don't have the right to express
yourself?

What about that reporter that lost his job because he discussed the failures
of the U.S. military strategy on Iraqi T.V.?  Speak your mind and lose your
job -- how is this freedom?

Now please do not misunderstand -- I am not saying that you have to support
those who maintain ideas with which you disagree.  I myself have never been
to a Dixie Chicks concert nor do I have any of their CDs -- nor do I ever
intend to. But in my case it is more an issue of musical taste rather than
conflicting political viewpoints.  At the same time, I do not support or
consume anything from corporations whose political agendas run contrary to
my own -- so no Carl's Jr. for me.  But voting with your dollars is
different than disparaging the right for everyone to express themselves in
the first place.  Apples and oranges to my mind.

What don't some of you understand?  It's discrimination that is being
supported here.  Why isn't that clear?  We are supposed to be respected
regardless of race, creed, religion, etc.

Threatening someone with death for their political beliefs is NOT american.
To the contrary, we are supposed to fight to the death for the right of
anyone to speak their mind.  The right of free speech is absolutely
fundamental to our system of govt.

-- Hop-Frog