 Off-Topic / Debate / 20677
Re: Patriotism or Mass Hysteria?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:19:11 GMT

What I am getting from some of you is that free speech is not without risk.
Fine, I don't mind well-reasoned, passionate discourse from all sides --
that's 100% the american way! But death threats?  Isn't that basically
saying you don't have the right to express yourself?

I had to reply as this is a time that I actually find myself agreeing with
hop-frog. Death threats are not only inappropriate, but illegal, and should
not be tolerated. If you want to call the Dixie Chicks traitors, or
unAmerican, go ahead, but any type of threat is not a part of any civilized
society.

The NYPD has reportedly been keeping the names of anti-war protestors on
record.  In other words, they were not freely allowed to express themselves
without fear of govt. interference -- they have been databased and are being
tracked! Isn't that basically saying you don't have the right to express
yourself?

Many police forces take the names of protestors, in case things get out of
hand, they can hold those responsible to account. I don't see this as a
major threat.

What about that reporter that lost his job because he discussed the failures
of the U.S. military strategy on Iraqi T.V.?  Speak your mind and lose your
job -- how is this freedom?

Reporters are hired to display some degree of impartiality, granted many of
them do little to hide their left leanings, but to go on a television
station run by an enemy government and criticize the country that provided
your plane ticket, seems not only stupid, but bordering on treason.

At the same time, I do not support or
consume anything from corporations whose political agendas run contrary to
my own -- so no Carl's Jr. for me.  But voting with your dollars is
different than disparaging the right for everyone to express themselves in
the first place.  Apples and oranges to my mind.

Ordinary American people have as much right to express themselves as
celebrities, just as long as there is no slander, liable or threats
involved. I also agree with voting with your dollar, no pep boys for me.
Also remember the first amendment is related to government impeading free
expression, not groups of offended consumers.

I was just really shocked that I read your post and found myself nodding in
agreement with most of it. I think we here in America put way too much
importance on celebrity, who really cares what an actor or musician thinks.
You don't find the media following a welder around asking what they think
about the war. I disagree with many artists politically, but I don't put
much stock in it. If a movie or tv show looks entertaining, or a CD sounds
good I will buy it (or download it). I don't care about their political
leanings, if I did I wouldn't see very many movies :).

Scott