 Off-Topic / Debate / 20635
Re: Free Speech, again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 04:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

Most importantly, you haven't told me where "ne" came from.
I use it to mean "yes?"  (as in, "do you agree?") and only at the end of
sentences.

Anyone recognise it?

Doh!  How about the simple "ne c'est pas?" in the now-forbidden language?

   Dave!

Actually the Japanese connection makes more sense because if you make a
statement and then append the "ne" it does mean "don't you agree?" or "isn't
it?"  But I wouldn't have associated it with the Lar "ne" because I
always read
that with an upward interrogative intonation, whereas the Japanese
"ne" doesn't
end with that upward accent (accent isn't the word but my brain is numb and
I cannot think of the proper one-- must be my bedtime).  Oh, and the Japanese
"ne" is kind of drawn out whereas I imagine the Lar "ne" to be more abrupt.

Must be from Anime or Manga then. Thanks for that, Mags... whew, that's all
settled.

(I'm gonna go with her explanation, Dave! Sorry about that, but she's
smarter than you, Dave!... you're allegedly not as smart as Tim Robbins, at
least according to some... no wait, that was me.)

On to more pressing matters, like whether proselytizing is more off topic in
.off-topic.fun or in .people than it is in .debate, and how many angels can
dance on the head of a superstring.

Except waitaminit. (dagnabit... )

I said "do you agree?" but Mags said "don't you agree?" I sense a lack of
agreement on the "agree"s.... which is it? What's the difference? I mean, if
someone says "don't you agree?" and you do agree, do you answer yes or no?
(yes I do agree, no I do agree, no I don't not agree... ack!) Worse, what if
you don't agree? (yes I don't agree, no I do not agree, yes I don't not not
agree... ack ack!)

Urp. Maybe french is easier?