 Off-Topic / Debate / 20630
Re: Free Speech, again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:51:29 GMT

Oh heck, I snipped most of it without regard to whether I agreed with it or
not...

  Most importantly, you haven't told me where "ne" came from.  Very clever
omission--what are you hiding?

But maybe I could make an autonomous machine, which, while regrettably not
supplying pudding, could post stuff for me?

  I've wondered about something like that.  I believe the Turing test
hypothesizes that a computer convincingly able to mimic human communication
would qualify as an artificial intelligence.  Maybe the machine you're positing
would qualify as an Artificial Larry.

Maybe I'm an enemy combatant?

  Shhh!  Brother Ashcroft may be listening!

++Lar (no pudding for you!)

See my LUGNET page--I've had enough pudding, thanks.

Apparently so...  7 pounds! Ye gads.  Why? Dave! Why?

  I was young, okay?  I needed the money.  It was a creamy, synthetic-beige
time of my life that I'd rather not revisit.

Nike stands accused of lying in a certain way (according to the summaries of
the case provided here in this thread) about their actions, and further in a
way that (while it may not exactly be fraud or libel in a strict definition
although I could argue the point) is intended to deceive. It's false
advertising.

If Nike were a real person would this be actionable? I think so. False
advertising is actionable, ne?

  There you go again with the ne stuff.  But I agree with this part.

You'll not see ME arguing that corporations should get WIDER protection than
people do. I think (at least libertarian corporations since they deny
limited liability) they're the same. You think it's less.

  This was a point of divergence, since you were working under a libertarian
model, while I was aiming at the current state of things.  Given your premiss
(of a libertarian society) the way you've phrased it works for me.

Since the Supremes always rule as narrowly (on questions) as they possibly
can, I predict this (false adverts not protected) is how they will find,
since there is no precedent for corporate speech being more protected,
*without* ruling on the wider question of whether corporate speech is more
or less protected than corporeal speech. (and thus disappointing those who
are interested in the wider question of wider vs. narrower protection of
corporate speech)

What do you think?

  I think that's a very sound prediction.

If you agree, we can put this to bed, happily settled.

Then we can get back to sparring about the rights of corps in the larger
case if you want, knowing that we are back on the abstract and we have
settled the concrete all neatly. (with liberty and pudding for all!)

  Ne, I've gotten to the essence of it, for me.  Case [of pudding] closed.

     Dave!