 Off-Topic / Debate / 20599
Re: Free Speech, again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:34:54 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/04/23/scotus.free.speech.ap/index.html

Nike is within is rights to run ads to influence public opinion as long as
they are not slanderous or libelous. In fact, in this case, NOT doing so is
doing its owners a disservice.

Note that the cited article doesn't say what exactly the original suit is
about, exactly. If Nike was lying about conditions in factories, there may
well be grounds for a libel suit there if you can just find the party libeled.

Or a fraudulent advertising suit, for that matter.

Free speech does not convey on individuals the right to lie, nor should it
convey that right to corporations.

If Nike was in fact lying about matters of fact, and not just stating
opinion, their use of free speech as a defense is not good.