 Off-Topic / Debate / 20593
Re: Free Speech, again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:08:56 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/04/23/scotus.free.speech.ap/index.html

I am as big a proponent of free speech as anyone I know, but I don't
accept that corporations are citizens protected under the first amendment.
Ditto any corporate executive or agent speaking on behalf of the
corporation; the speech of *the person* is protected, but not when that
person is acting as an arm of the company.
To me it's very much the same as when Dubya invokes God in every speech.
George W. Bush is free to worship and believe as he sees fit, but as *the
president* his individual rights are subordinate to the limitations of his
office.

    Dave!

First, I'd say there's a difference b/w a corporation and a gov't
institution--separation of church and state is gov't, not corporation.
Dubya 'talking God' is irrelevant.  Dubya supporting keeping "Under God" in
the PoA is wrong.

I also thing that corporations can say whatever they want, as long as it's
the truth--Nike wasn't presenting the truth in these instances cited.

Much like it's illegal for me to yell 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre when
there was none, for my speech is then not protected under the 1st, it is
also wrong for a corp. to misrepresent themselves--advertising or not.

I'd like to see someone take the beer companies to task for all their
glorified 'babes-on-beach' advertising--once I'd like to see some real truth
in advertising--guys with distended beer bellies belching and getting into
brawls at bars 'n such--I think my advertisement is closer to the norm than
the babes.

Anyway, free speech has to be protected for everyone--corporations included,
or it means nothing.  Free speeh must also remain true-to-the-facts (or as
close as it can be) or it's akin to the fire in a theatre scenario.

My few coppers.

Dave K