 Off-Topic / Debate / 15806
Re: New Stories from the New Testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:34:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink writes:

Obviously the only valid Bible is in the original KJV.  :)
Okay, I know, only Christians got that joke.

  Depends.  I get the joke, but I'm not sure it's the joke you were
  intending.  :)  (I presume you're making fun of the highly suspect
  circumstances of the KJV's translation?)

There are those Christians who think that the KJV is the only valid
translation, and that all more recent translations (NIV, NASB, RSV, etc) are
suspect.  Some of them elevate the KJV so much that it seems they even find
the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek suspect.  That's what I was joking
about.

   Ah.  Okay.  Well, I found it funny for a related reason--mostly that
   James had the translation slanted in a way to extol monarchy and, some
   suggest, Catholicism (James having been a closet Catholic as he was).
   That's ironic for a lot of the extreme dogmatists, who often also
   consider Catholicism to be "Christianity Lite" or something much more
   sinister.

Me, I love the KJV for the beauty of language, especially some well-known
passages like the Christmas narrative, but I study out of the NIV for
clearer understanding.

   The language is beautiful--and traditional--because we identify it
   as such.  But I'd argue that any translation could be considered that
   way 350 years later.  :D  I do wonder what hidden, now-transparent
   biases might pop out of the NIV to some long-future reader?

   best

   LFB