 Off-Topic / Debate / 15796
Re: New Stories from the New Testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:24:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
In which case, should
Christians be like Moslems and declare that only an original Bible, not
a translation, is valid? Which language then?

Obviously the only valid Bible is in the original KJV.  :)
Okay, I know, only Christians got that joke.

   Depends.  I get the joke, but I'm not sure it's the joke you were
   intending.  :)  (I presume you're making fun of the highly suspect
   circumstances of the KJV's translation?)

Anyway, on to the main topic of the debate here.  Three things.

1.  The tone is definitely mocking, self-admittedly so.*
2.  I'm a pretty hard-core Christian.
3.  I enjoy Brendan's work quite a bit.  Perhaps I'm less easily offended
than I should be, but there you go.

*Quoting Brendan in the Spin article he reproduces on his site: "If there's
an unspoken intention to the site . . . it's to have those who believe in an
all-loving and merciful, family-values supporting God be confronted with the
barbaric, heinous, and grotesque stories from the divinely inspired book
their religion is based on.**  Plus it's a cool Lego project and stuff."

**In that I am wholly in accord with Brendan.  We (speaking to Christians
here) need to confront and try to understand the real God, not some
caricature based on half-remembered Sunday School lessons.  I suspect that I
come to very different conclusions from that confrontation than Brendan
would, but I'd really rather not go further in debating the aspects of
religion in this forum.  Debating the use of Lego to depict those aspects is
already off-topic enough for me for today.

   And the strength of Christianity and Christians should be in the
   ability to accept discord in readings.  That's what made Christianity
   so strong and so easy to spread--grey areas were negotiated around.
   Literalists have to engage in discourse with allegorists, and so forth.
   Any belief system that cannot search itself, that fears dissent, and
   that attacks that which offends it is suspect.  (This holds true for
   radical-left philosopies just as surely as for "far-right" religion.)

   Still, whatever the religious value of the Bible to a given reader,
   one can be in no doubt as to its importance as a piece of *literature*.
   And if you want to depict literature that everyone knows, you may find
   yourself terribly constricted--maybe we should toss out "titles of books
   that everyone should/would know" to see.  I'd bet that the Bible would
   be in very sparse and august company.

   But hey, we're in America, so if Brendan wants to be an ideologue, he
   can be an ideologue.  ;)  Me, I'm just enjoying the stories (and I have
   five or six Bibles to read if I think something's missing).

   best

   LFB