 Off-Topic / Debate / 14220
  Tolerance of vice

(...) So you think there's a tolerable level of theft? Some shrinkage is acceptable? Don't ever work for me unless you are prepared to set that attitude aside. No level of theft is "acceptable" and no level should be "tolerated" because it's too (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tolerance of vice

(...) But I never said it was acceptable. I said the punishment you betrothed to it was overzealous. Is going 31mph in a 30mph zone an offense punishable by death? Ban him? You really think that's a good solution? I don't. I think the appropriate (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tolerance of vice

(...) Bad example... since you're referring to noncommon law. Speed limits tend to be revenue generation devices nowadays more than anything else. But I can tell you that I would not patronise a private road that used that particular punishment. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tolerance of vice

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: (snipped) (...) The ancient greeks devised a special punishment for those they considered to be disgracing their community. I am unsure of the English name for it, but it should be something like (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Tolerance of vice

(...) Agreed, it wasn't the best of examples, but hopefully you got the general idea. A better example would be (I suppose) whether you think someone who shoplifted a stick of gum should be sentenced to death. Again, I just think the punishment (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) Please elaborate... with statistics if you so prefer. :) Are you denying that speed limits also serve to regulate traffic patterns, allow drivers to avoid accidents by reducing stopping distance(dependent on ~following the limit of course), (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) I'll just cite what I learned in Transportation Engineering. The proper way to set speed limits , on a road that wasn't explicitly engineered with limits in mind (1) is the 85th percentile rule. This rule assumes that people basically are (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) Wouldn't that, at least gradually, also have to depend on whether the road or the residents were first to be there? :wq Horst (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

Just some thoughts.... (bad ones at that) (...) Ok, so let's say that the average driving speed in america has gone up over the past few decades. I believe it has, but I don't have a statistic in front of me. The reasons for this increase are (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) Who are smart enough to know what level or risk is appropriate in all situations. Right? (...) The 'correct' speed. (...) What Larry is saying is that while they might be exceeding the posted speed limit, the problem is that the posted speed (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snip> The theory of how to set speeds isn't just some neato thing I dreamed up, it's commonly accepted practice, as outlined in Transportation Engineering texts... you can look it up or take (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) Hmm Civil engineering. This does work for some roads, but, for most, the 85th percentile speed just keeps rising (if my memory serves my right). For most roads, all the 85th percentile rule shows is that 15 percent of drivers are willing to (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) What would be cool is signage that responds to the weather. Based on the temperature and state of precipitation (or even reflective characteristics of the road and atmospheric light-transmission characteristics), the signs could display a (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')

(...) In the UK this is already done indirectly. I think speed is altered based on how close the cars are travelling together on some roads leading to London - slow moving cars travel closer together. In these type of conditions, reducing the speed (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)