 Off-Topic / Debate / 1395
    Free speech and abuse thereof —Frank Filz
   The current news item about the white supremacist who went on a rampage leaves me wondering how we deal with that type of thing from a Libertarian perspective. To me it seems that the organization has some responsibility for what the individual did, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Scott Edward Sanburn
   Frank, Very easy. Enforce the 20,000 or so gun control laws on the books, and crack down on people that buy/sell guns illegally. Penalizing law abiding citizens that use / buy / sell guns does nothing. As for the Libertarian thing, I do not know of (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Frank Filz
   (...) I wasn't placing blame on the LP (hm, same initials as Larry's, any coincidence?). I was asking how in Liberatopia, this situation would be dealt with. Note that Liberatopia has few, if any, gun control laws. (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) No society can ever be perfect. The following are pat answers and none of them completely solves the problem. Some of them won't work without some other societal restructuring. - Despite the image of the quiet, secret rebel who suddenly snaps, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Christopher L. Weeks
     (...) I don't exactly either, I included some pretty heavy caveats when I first said the S word. When it first came up, it was about parents who're "criminally" negligent. What do you think ought to happen to them? People will remain psychologically (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Tough question, and one to which I freely admit that I don't have the answer. Libertopia may not do any better than we do at this one. I know it hardly can do any worse. (1) Seems to me that reckless endangerment is one of the common law (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —John Neal
    Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) Well, if I may jump in here and say that, in theory Lar and the LP may make things *logically* clearer, but even in the best of systems you still have the same, nagging problem: 1) The system will only work if (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Larry Pieniazek
   John Neal wrote: 1) The system will only work if people are (...) While I concede that a lof of people believe this to be true, it isn't. The vast majority of people ARE hard working decent honest caring beings. One of the most pernicious things (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —John Neal
      (...) I think you're wrong. I would say the "vast minority". If there exists such a majority, why haven't changes been made for the better sooner? (...) *I* never said that, and I don't happen to believe it, either. I think that notion came from (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Larry Pieniazek
     Two points in reverse order of your append. First, I'm not asserting I already proved my assertion that people are good, I'm just saying that if I do provide a proof, it will be rejected as either self delusion, or something for which no proof is (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof —Jeremy H. Sproat
   (...) One thing I'm going to insert here, and has almost nothing to do with the current discussion, is that the "Original Sin" belief does not exist in Mormonism as it does in most other creationist religions. We are taught that Adam transgressed, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)