 Off-Topic / Debate / 13786
    Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Scott Arthur
   Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. This letter appeared in a UK newspaper yesterday. I just wondered if there was any truth in it. Here it is; ==+== Cuba wants justice too. In view of the government's support for United States (...) (23 years ago, 11-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I'm comfortable with the designation of Cuba as a terrorist state, (1). That perception of mine is based mostly on my perception of their actions in the 1980s in Africa. Recently they seem to have calmed down whether because they wanted to or (...) (23 years ago, 11-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Scott Arthur
     (...) Do you have a reference for this? (...) The interesting thing about Libya is the hassle it got for the Pam-Am bombing over my fair land. It turns out that one of the accused was innocent and the second is appealing his conviction. I wonder if (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Pedro Silva
     (...) I dunno about Larry's references, but I can confirm this. According to a cuban veteran I spoke to while in Cuba, he was in Angola in the early eighties. A number of people here who have had business there (Angola, not Cuba) by then reported (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Cuban advisors and troops were all over the place, but regardless of how you slice it, it wasn't terrorism. For some reason people are quick to denounce terrorism, and then they can't quite define it--what's military action, and what's (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) That's fine... here's a question though: How many years have to go by before you're off the hook, if there has been no change in regime and no repudiation or reparation? Where I am going with this is, suppose (hypothetically) it has been (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Pedro Silva
      (...) Do you mean a *formal repudiation*? I would say it takes an effective change in attitude. You can wait forever for a formal declaration... presentely, Cuba seems not to be sponsoring terrorism - therefore, it is reasonable to take them "off (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Pedro Silva
     (...) Huh... I did not explain myself properly: I wanted to confirm they were in Angola, not that what they were doing there was terrorism. It is true they were there as "advisors", even though some contingents DID enter in combat for the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Lawrence Wilkes
      "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GL1qAq.MvA@lugnet.com... (...) A UK Minister has now called for Cuba to be taken off the list of terrorist states (URL) (23 years ago, 13-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Larry Pieniazek
   <Snip> Here is the US government reasoning for who is on the list and who is off. Note that this material well predates 911. (URL) is a section of (URL) found the list of FTOs interesting. (URL) how intertwined they all seem to be. The site alleges (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

      "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GL6rMI.4nw@lugnet.com... (...) Or perhaps you could also ask the question how many sympathisers to thier cause do you need in the US government? Or how many votes might be lost if (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Those were posed as rhetorical questions I assume, but they are nevertheless valid and I admit of no answer. (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) The corollary of Lawrence's question, of course, is: "how many votes might be lost if they *aren't* on the list?" I noticed the very small amount of text re: Cuba, and none that implies a state sponsorship--it appears to be more a matter of (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state. —Scott Arthur
   (...) Yep. You last comment is old news in the UK. A few years ago we literally caught a boat load or arms (inc SAMs) from Libya. I think since then, Libya told the UK just what it had supplied to help counter the IRA. See: (URL) the help the IRA (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)