 Off-Topic / Debate / 13516
Re: 6776... Is this True?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 11:33:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Staudt writes:

i think what we have here is a confusion of violence with conflict
violence is death and destruction. bombs destroying buildings, guns killing
people.  what lego has created in the past and now is conflict. pirates vs.
imperials.  conflict but they never showed or suggested cannons blowing
holes in people. or drowning people burning alive.  things that would
happen in real life.

I suppose all those pirate skeletons died of old age?  :-)

as for star wars ( shich i like alot) it is a contract with another
concept.  they are just making an accurate imitation the items in the movie
into lego.  but again no real violence just conflict. yes they have battle
droids. but did they have laser's on the droid fighters? the battle droid
with shooting missles? a skewered jedi or a bisected maul? no.

I have purchased around 80 sets with Darth Maul and in every single one he was
bisected.

and as for Mr. Sandbarn i don't see how most of the new sets are violence
related.  you have new trains,

...to tie maidens in front of...

new racers,

...to enact Death Race 2000 (for which LEGO failed to secure the license)...

new all purpose hero,

...with which to destroy downtown while apprehending villains...

new magic school,

...teaching the dark arts to young children...

bring back of old sets,

...from old violent themes...

princess

...representing the oppression of the lower class...

and bob the builder,

...complete with claw hammer and circular saw...

soccer.

...where the fans are often hospitalized...

the only partially violence related item is the Bionicle selection.  (which
i am not patocularly fond of my self).

Hey, that giant white sword is only good for stopping avalanches!  :-)

Chris
(Who's just messing with you, in case that's not obvious.)