 Off-Topic / Debate / 13510
Re: 6776... Is this True?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 04:25:41 GMT

i think what we have here is a confusion of violence with conflict
violence is death and destruction. bombs destroying buildings, guns killing
people.  what lego has created in the past and now is conflict. pirates vs.
imperials.  conflict but they never showed or suggested cannons blowing
holes in people. or drowning people burning alive.  things that would
happen in real life.

in alpha team they are mind control orbs. they aren't bio agent canisters.
when ogel is defeated he is not killed, maimed, mutilated.  he is trotted
off to jail or some such.  and the most violent item in my image, the bomb
squad veichle is not some missle launcher to bring down ogel's jet.
i am saddened by their desicion to remove the ogel center.  i feel no
reason to do such.  i also feel if they continue to remove it they need to
replace it with something

as for star wars ( shich i like alot) it is a contract with another
concept.  they are just making an accurate imitation the items in the movie
into lego.  but again no real violence just conflict. yes they have battle
droids. but did they have laser's on the droid fighters? the battle droid
with shooting missles? a skewered jedi or a bisected maul? no.

and as for Mr. Sandbarn i don't see how most of the new sets are violence
related.  you have new trains, new racers, new all purpose hero, new magic
school, bring back of old sets, princess and bob the builder, soccer.

the only partially violence related item is the Bionicle selection.  (which
i am not patocularly fond of my self).  even that involves infected things
akin to insanity or mental problems and survival of the fittest.  not
outright you must die because i say so kinda stuff.

"Jason Spears" <spearjr@hotmail.com> wrote in news:GKDGMn.IF3@lugnet.com:

In lugnet.lego, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.lego, Frank Filz writes:
James Simpson wrote:
Anyway, I don't think this is the 1st step down the ladder; the
Union
soldiers vs. Indians and the Pirates vs. Islanders was pretty bad.
Memo to self: When I want a toy that doesn't reinforce negative
stereotypes, I won't go to Lego.

Interestingly, no Wild West set shows any interraction between the
"Indians" and the "Cowboys".

True.  Although the Union vs. Indians chess set in the Ultimate Lego
Book drops below the level of good taste, IMO.

james

Union vs. Indians = White vs. Black.  Chess sets have always had two
sides. Neither color was ever considered good or bad.  Why does a Chess
set with two opposing sides mean that anyone in particular is
bad/wrong.  The union and the indians DID oppose each other, that's
history.  But I don't think Lego's sets ever said that one in
particular was evil.  In fact if I remember correctly, the Wild West
sets had some baddies, bank robbies or something. (On that same note,
weren't the Pirates the bad guys, sorta, in that them, with them
opposing the Soldiers, and the Islanders were just sorta around?) I
guess I don't understand your comment "Memo to self: When I want a toy
that doesn't reinforce negative stereotypes, I won't go to Lego."  I
don't see it reinforcing anything.

-Jason
http://www.geocities.com/spearjr/brickcentral.html

--