 LEGO Company / 300
Re: 6776... Is this True?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:13:09 GMT

James & All,

IMHO, I'd say that TLC is actually granting good taste a victory by pulling > from the shelves this set.  Regardless of the WTC, I don't think that its
either appropriate or necessary for TLC to produce themes that rely on
shallow violent imagery such as dropping bombs, or mind control devices, or
whatever on crowds of frightened people (er, minifigs.)  TLC is better than
that,

Well, I don't think the company is anymore, frankly. Most of their products
are relying in some ways on some kind of violence, whether it is Alpha Team,
Bionicle, Star Wars, etc. I think they lost most of their "non-violence"
when they introduced heavily detailed themes. If you take it back further,
even the first minifig sets, such as castle sets are violent, since they
have weapons and the like. But their "non-violence" stance has been a double
standard, and continues to this day, IMO.

And they did not pull this set off the shelves for good taste, they pulled
it off the shelves for the potential effects after the attacks. While I
agree with you most themes nowadays are garbage, it is the continuance of
garbage that has lead me to think that the company is not as good as it used
to be. I think LEGO Direct is the future of the company.

and if they
aren't, then they should be.  I hope that they've learned a very costly
lesson, and I'm frankly glad that the company has lost a bundle over this
set. Shame on them.

As before, it won't teach them a lesson, and if it is a lesson, it is a bad
one to learn. This has all to do with their "image", and nothing else. If
there hadn't been that horrible attack, they still would be there.

james, who expects a flame or two

Flames come and go (Try debate, you can get charred easily), but I hope I
gave a little bit of my ideas on it.

Scott S.