 Off-Topic / Debate / 13082
Re: The *militia* saved flight 93 from a worse fate...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:34:16 GMT

Hello Chris,

Given the fact that even in the Sep. 11 disaster, less people were probably
killed than are killed in a "normal" year by use of guns in the US, I tend
to prefer NOT to legalize taking firearms into planes.

In 1999, there were 8,718 firearm related homocides in the US.  So you're
probably right.  But the broad-picture statistics suggest that as the
concealed-carry rate increases, the violent crime rate decreases.  So I'd
claim
that that high number was in part caused by our firearm prohibitions.
Further,
whether or not this recent disaster compares to a normal year (I'm not seeing
what conclusions you can draw from that), it would be highly valuable (at
least
to me) to have prevented the 6000+ deaths that resulted from this recent
terrorism.

Well, I don't want to dive into a firearms discussion here. What I wanted to
oppose is the idea that air travel is safer when firearms are allowed to be
taken into planes by passengers.

Maybe a few armed policemen, conservatively clothed, but certainly not the
larger public ...

I'm not entirely opposed to sky marshals, but I'd rather the airlines supply
the guards.  That way each consumer could choose to pay or not pay for the
added security.

And how can people working in skyscrapers be more safe when people decide to
NOT pay for it?

Greetings

Horst