 Off-Topic / Debate / 13007
Re: The *militia* saved flight 93 from a worse fate...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:
Here is an op-ed sure to make some folks foam...

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-barnett091801.shtml

but not me... This writer *gets* what the militia is.

This is exactly why we will never see this particular form of attack again.

For a while, anyway. Until the "general militia" gets apathetic again (which
may take many years).

Prior to this attack Pilots and crew had been taught that in a hijacking
situation the best way to insure their own safty and the safty of the
passangers was to do as the hijackers said.  Up until September 11th that
policy worked very well.  Now though, we know differently.  Never again will • we
see pilots acceding to the demands of the terrorists.

More importantly the "malitia" will never sit by and let this happen again.
For me if it is a choice between the deaths of 200 people on the plane or • 7,000
people on the ground and 200 on the plane.  I would chose just the 200 on the
plane.

By all reports, the decision made by the passengers of flight 93 was only made
after they found out there were more than just their lives at risk. So they
chose the option as you say you would (and I'd like to think I would too).

The passengers on the other 3 flights were unlikely to have known however, and
thus they saw it as the usual hijack situation - only *their* lives were at
risk. So it was not for them a choice between 7000 and 200, but a choice
between "probably 0" and 200. Of course, since Sep 11, the probability in that
"probably 0" will have taken a massive dive in most people's mind (including
mine).

But in a situation where that probability is high (eg plane hijacked over
Atlantic ocean), I still think acceding to the hijackers' requests is generally
the best policy. And up until last week, most hijackings (arguably) fell into
that category.

ROSCO