 Off-Topic / Debate / 11727
  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Just out of curiosity, is there any basis for this assertion? Or real-world precedent, other than romanticized and falacious notions of the "Old West?" (...) Why should a witness feel a need to stop a crime, thereby placing himself in harms' (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Being that CCW permits are next to impossible to get in most states, I wouldn't be able to help. The intent to help would be there, but I'd have to stand by and watch someone possibly die, thanks to the ridiculous laws we have. (...) program (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Because people are basically good, and want to help? That's why I would and have in the past. (...) Michigan just passed a relaxed CCW law. Now, the CCW boards have to approve anyone who passes a background check and pays the fee and complies (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Not to lessen the significance of your prior actions, but for the context of this debate, were these life-or-death situations, on the street, in which you put yourself in harm's way for a stranger? Even if it was breaking up a fist fight (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Admittedly, no. At least as far as I knew, they weren't. At some remove, I can tell you I'd think I'd be less likely to intervene in a fist fight, though, than in a situation where someone had a gun drawn, assuming I was carrying. Fist fights (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Some are just have-a-go heroes who do not know when to stop: (URL) others are good: (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Just out of interest, how do you go about determining whose side to come in on? Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) One should intervene if it is the right thing to do, irrespective of what the outcome may be(1). To say otherwise, suggests you would only use your gun to defend against "tyranny" if you thought you'd win. How weak is that? Scott A I shall (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Good question. I don't believe there is always a surefire way to tell. (1) In that case the goal ought to be to stop the violence. 1 - how were the Branch Davidians to know that trailers full of armed men crashing into their compound, guns (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) national (...) I think that the strength of my claim makes it difficult to really defend. however the reading that I have done suggests that when concealed carry laws are passed and the propensity to carry increases for that venue the violent (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) That's an interesting perspective. I've witnessed a number of fist fights, none of which ended in fatality (though in some cases hospitilization was necessary), but the likelihood of death seems greater when firearms are in use. Granted, a (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) It wasn't a bad film--it would have been a bad history text, if it had aspired to be a history text at all. As a piece of fiction, it was quite effective. Now The Patriot--*that* was a bad film. Dave! (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I think that we can assume authorial intent on this one Dave! Since the text wouldn't mean anything if there was no way to get the arms, I assume that the broader picture of gun availability is protected too. However, I agree that this is (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) It depends on how you define win. There isn't any point in dying for nothing. There are situations in which dying is worthwhile. But not when it's just pointless. If you could defend person X from a wrong, but would be killed, or you could go (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Well, for a start, if he really was a 'patriot', he'd have been on our side! (or Native American) You can't be a patriot if you don't have a country yet. Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I've certainly read a number of instances where this is true - but in Victorian times in England, people would tackle criminals, too, with neither side armed with guns. It may be more a function of the times. But then again, maybe it means the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) My understanding is that some places and some times were peacable for the most part. What counts as the wild west? I'm reading books written by J.D. Fitzgerald about his life in southern Utah prior to the turn of the 20th century. Some of the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Idunno, a film that actually admitted that a cannon shot essentially an iron bowling ball can't be all bad... Bruce (okay, so I skip the over-wrought story on the DVD player) :-) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Bodie, California would certainly count (the popular observation of the times: "Goodbye God, I'm going to Bodie"). I mean, one could hardly call Mormon Central (Utah) the "wild" west for example (oops, just peered at the next sentence...you (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)