 Off-Topic / Debate / 11782
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:08:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:

  Why should a witness feel a need to stop a crime, thereby placing himself
in harms' way for a stranger?

Because people are basically good, and want to help? That's why I would and
have in the past.

Not to lessen the significance of your prior actions, but for the context of
this debate, were these life-or-death situations, on the street, in which you
put yourself in harm's way for a stranger?

Admittedly, no. At least as far as I knew, they weren't. At some remove, I
can tell you I'd think I'd be less likely to intervene in a fist fight,
though, than in a situation where someone had a gun drawn, assuming I was
carrying. Fist fights are too dangerous. (I don't currently have a carry
permit in Michigan, although I did in Florida)

One should intervene if it is the right thing to do, irrespective of what
the outcome may be(1). To say otherwise, suggests you would only use your
gun to defend against "tyranny" if you thought you'd win. How weak is that?

Scott A

I shall quote a very bad film to illustrate my point:
“Ay, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying
in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days
from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and
tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our
freedom?”

People deride the "wild west" but it's my opinion that people were more
likely to intervene and aid then than they are now.