 Off-Topic / Debate / 11755
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:33:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:

  Why should a witness feel a need to stop a crime, thereby placing himself
in harms' way for a stranger?

Because people are basically good, and want to help? That's why I would and
have in the past.

Not to lessen the significance of your prior actions, but for the context of
this debate, were these life-or-death situations, on the street, in which you
put yourself in harm's way for a stranger?

Admittedly, no. At least as far as I knew, they weren't. At some remove, I
can tell you I'd think I'd be less likely to intervene in a fist fight,
though, than in a situation where someone had a gun drawn, assuming I was
carrying. Fist fights are too dangerous. (I don't currently have a carry
permit in Michigan, although I did in Florida)

People deride the "wild west" but it's my opinion that people were more
likely to intervene and aid then than they are now.