 Off-Topic / Debate / 11773
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:30:20 GMT

Not to lessen the significance of your prior actions, but for the context of
this debate, were these life-or-death situations, on the street, in which you
put yourself in harm's way for a stranger?

Admittedly, no. At least as far as I knew, they weren't. At some remove, I
can tell you I'd think I'd be less likely to intervene in a fist fight,
though, than in a situation where someone had a gun drawn, assuming I was
carrying. Fist fights are too dangerous.

  That's an interesting perspective.  I've witnessed a number of fist
fights, none of which ended in fatality (though in some cases
hospitilization was necessary), but the likelihood of death seems greater
when firearms are in use.  Granted, a knife in close-quarters scuffling
could easily be deadly, so if that's what you're referring to I see your point.

People deride the "wild west" but it's my opinion that people were more
likely to intervene and aid then than they are now.

  I think you're correct to use the "opinion" disclaimer, since the
impression of a Wild West held in check by firearms is largely a fiction.  A
real factor to consider is that the population of the old west was a tiny
fraction of that of today's population centers, so it's difficult to
extrapolate the effects of universal firearm possession from one scenario to
another.  I would speculate that in a small (by today's standards) town with
no TV, people became more familiar with one another and might for this
reason have been less inclined to shoot each other, too (but that is,
admittedly, fairly idle speculation).

  I have a nitpicky but good-faith question about the 2nd Amendment, if
anyone would care to answer.  It says that "the right of the people to keep
and bear arms shall not be infringed."  In all seriousness, couldn't a
by-the-letter interpretation of this amendment indicate that a person can
own and carry weapons but cannot acquire new ones?  That is, at face value I
don't see anything protecting a right to purchase or manufacture arms.  I
really don't view this as a viable argument, ultimately, but I'd appreciate
opinions, rather than knee-jerk "that ain't the way it is" answers.  Thanks!

     Dave!

     Dave!