 Off-Topic / Debate / 11774
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:37:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Not to pull a Rob Reiner or Tipper Gore here, but look at the influence
violence in the media has on us?! We are generally desensitized to it from a
young age. Take a run to any store (K-Mart, Target, Walmart) and look at
what is available in the *toy* aisle. All sorts of play guns, cap guns,
squirt guns, action figures with guns, video games with guns, you name it.
Even LEGOs with guns!

And this is a reason to limit ownership of real guns?  Um, no.

  Yeah, that's never made much sense to me, either.  Toy guns have been
available and popular for many decades, so why are they all of a sudden
responsible for violence?  Toy bricks do not turn kids into real-world
bricklayers...

     Dave!