 Off-Topic / Debate / 11791
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:59:11 GMT

I have a nitpicky but good-faith question about the 2nd Amendment, if
anyone would care to answer.  It says that "the right of the people to keep
and bear arms shall not be infringed."  In all seriousness, couldn't a
by-the-letter interpretation of this amendment indicate that a person can
own and carry weapons but cannot acquire new ones?  That is, at face value I
don't see anything protecting a right to purchase or manufacture arms.

I think that we can assume authorial intent on this one Dave!  Since the text
wouldn't mean anything if there was no way to get the arms, I assume that the
broader picture of gun availability is protected too.  However, I agree that
this is another example of how the amendment ought to be reworded for clarity.

Chris