 Off-Topic / Debate / 11804
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:49:22 GMT

People deride the "wild west" but it's my opinion that people were more
likely to intervene and aid then than they are now.

I've certainly read a number of instances where this is true - but in
Victorian times in England, people would tackle criminals, too, with neither
side armed with guns.  It may be more a function of the times.  But then
again, maybe it means the Libertarians are right and we should depend on
ourselves more (arguing myself in circles again).

My derision of the "wild west" is that it is an example of everyone (well, a
significant portion) walking around armed, and it was NOT peaceable and
wonderful.

Bruce