 Off-Topic / Debate / 11727
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:23:27 GMT

We have issues in this country and more guns is not the answer.

Sure it is.  Universal armament is the answer.  Distribute the entire national
arsenal to the people where it belongs and you'd see a reign of peace and
prosperity like no other.

  Just out of curiosity, is there any basis for this assertion?  Or
real-world precedent, other than romanticized and falacious notions of the
"Old West?"

If I'm ever shot or otherwise brutalized, I'll be pissed off that none
of the witnesses was armed sufficiently to stop the crime.

  Why should a witness feel a need to stop a crime, thereby placing himself
in harms' way for a stranger?  Long ago you indicated that you would not,
for instance, offer up your bone marrow for me:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=5776

presumably(!) because we aren't close friends, but are we somehow to hope
that a stranger will risk not only his bone marrow but his life to intervene
on behalf of some anonymous stranger?  I know there are anecdotal examples
of one person taking a bullet for another, but how often does this happen
for a stranger, and can we really claim--based on such evidence--that
prolific gun possession would create the utopia you suggest below?

If we all carried guns, crime would grind to a screaching halt.

  Would it?  On what basis is this assertion made?  Implicit is the claim
that everyone would be equally willing to use a gun in defense of a
stranger, and this is categorically not true.

need to understand that they are hiding behind the Constitution

Wrong.  I'm protecting the constitution from you.  And I'll win or die.

   Well, ultimately you'll die in any case, and the Constitution will
outlive you, me, Dan, Charlton, and the rest of us.

     Dave!