 Off-Topic / Debate / 10104
Re: the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 15:39:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lester Witter writes:
  Anyways, I'm in complete agreement with the "yea" argument.
  But as someone else has mentioned, the conversion is now
  immobile, fixed at (in the example given) 1"=2.54cm (approx).

I recently had to do somethin involving metirc conversion and was told that at
some point the inch was redefind by the international standards people to be
exactly 2.54 cm.

   Really?  Cool!  Maybe the Euro will be NGL 2.20 one day, and
   not NGL 2.203.  ;)  I know, immaterial, given that the Guilder
   shall cease to exist on 1 March 2002.

  The last time, IIRC, that the meter changed definitively
  was 1873.  I think it got its current measure--based on the
  speed of light, which had, ironically, originally been determined
  by the standard bar in Paris--came into being recently, but the
  goal is still that standard manufactured in 1873 under 'ideal'

   n.b.: 1872 was the actual Conference that made one particular
         meter bar the standard.

I thought that the meter was defined in terms of the wavelenght of Krypton (the
gas not the planet) as measured by a laser under specific controlled
conditions. This definition must have been introduced after the invention of
the laser in the fifties.

   The wavelengths of krypton were an old standard.  James Clerk
   Maxwell (the mentor of my PhD thesis protagonist, Sir David Gill)
   offered the wavelength of sodium as a measuring standard as early
   as 1859, but the Krypton standard wasn't adopted until 1960.  The
   light standard became "official" in 1983.  The official length
   of the meter is the distance covered by light in 1/299,792,458
   of a second, the reciprocal of the speed of light in m/s.

   The first standard, however, was based on the size of the Earth,
   something that itself is still under revision (WGS84 being the
   latest--1984--geoid, IIRC).

Just to keep the holy wars going, the big deal about the metiric system is
everything is based on 10. The yard is based on 36. One observation (let the
flames be lit) is that 36 has a whole bunch more integer divisors that 10. You
can have 1/2 1/3 1/4 or 1/6 1/9 or 1/12 of a yard in whole sub-units. Also
sub-units of an inch are binary, (1/2 , 1/4, 1/8 etc) which is easy to mark
when you are cutting something (woodworking reference). It can be awkward to
make a 1/4 (or worse 1/3 scale) example of something give in metric.

He who is about to be flamed salutes you

   Aye-aye, cap'n!  ;)  An argument for binary has been made, and
   it's got some compelling points, IMHO.  I'd love to see a study
   of people doing mathematics in their head and the speed at which
   they do division in the US versus more "progressive" lands.  On
   the other hand, the learning curve is miiiiighty steep, and just
   make sure that rocket is rated in newtons, not foot-pounds.  Ack.

   By the way:  at the beginning, because of its French Revolutionary
   connotations, one could go to jail or be flogged for espousing
   the System Internationale.  This was true in Britain until nearly
   the middle of the nineteenth century, and it wasn't legalised in
   the US until after the Civil War.

   best

   LFB (does this need to go over to .geek?)