 Off-Topic / Debate / 10103
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 15:26:28 GMT

2. The UK has more responsibility for the current sad state of affairs than
you are willing to acknowledge. Not sole, but a huge portion.

You have no idea what I am "willing to acknowledge".

   Then what are you willing to acknowledge, beyond what we've
   seen here?  There's no reason in this long .debate to think
   that Larry's wrong on that score.

As I said before, you are
talking about the past. Considering the past too much is one of the problems
with this whole issue, and others like it, in the real world.

   The past should be absolutely crucial in considering "the real
   world." The problem arises when people manufacture a past, or
   worse yet, ignore certain aspects of their past as a way of
   trying to argue--or fight--from moral authority and righteousness.
   If we could all live in perfect awareness and understanding of
   our pasts, shared and individual, warts and flowers all, I
   have no doubt this would be a much better world.  It would
   definitely wake up some of my fellow USians, at least.

   Even if you claim that Britain's involvement is immaterial
   today--that its 1940s acts are a fait accompli with no relevance
   to the ongoing tragedy--the continuing idiocy that pervades
   Northern Ireland ought to commend at least a bit of contrition
   when speaking about another country's internal/external (it
   does depend on whom you ask) social problems.  At the very
   least, Ulster certainly shows that the release of mandated
   Palestine doesn't represent the cleansing and absolution of
   the British national soul. [1]

   best

   LFB

   [1] If there even is such a beast; see the current row over
       race and various utterances regarding immigration that are
       currently shaking the Tories.  Chances in May^H^H^HJune?
       Cha, right.