 Off-Topic / Debate / 10142
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:33:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
2. The UK has more responsibility for the current sad state of affairs than
you are willing to acknowledge. Not sole, but a huge portion.

You have no idea what I am "willing to acknowledge".

  Then what are you willing to acknowledge, beyond what we've
  seen here?  There's no reason in this long .debate to think
  that Larry's wrong on that score.

The point I think I am failing to acknowledge is that Britain’s past is any
justification for Israel to torture and murder today. Although, I am sure it
would make a very convenient defence / smokescreen.

As I said before, you are
talking about the past. Considering the past too much is one of the problems
with this whole issue, and others like it, in the real world.

  The past should be absolutely crucial in considering "the real
  world." The problem arises when people manufacture a past, or
  worse yet, ignore certain aspects of their past as a way of
  trying to argue--or fight--from moral authority and righteousness.
  If we could all live in perfect awareness and understanding of
  our pasts, shared and individual, warts and flowers all, I
  have no doubt this would be a much better world.  It would
  definitely wake up some of my fellow USians, at least.

Yes, but considering the past is no justifaction for Israel to torture and
murder today - that is my point.

  Even if you claim that Britain's involvement is immaterial
  today--that its 1940s acts are a fait accompli with no relevance
  to the ongoing tragedy--

If you want to talk about the causes of the current conflict, that sure the
past is the important. I was talking about the methods used in this conflict.

the continuing idiocy that pervades
  Northern Ireland ought to commend at least a bit of contrition
  when speaking about another country's internal/external (it
  does depend on whom you ask) social problems.  At the very
  least, Ulster certainly shows that the release of mandated
  Palestine doesn't represent the cleansing and absolution of
  the British national soul. [1]

The difference is that the majority of those in NI do not want to leave the
UK. The UK is not importing people from outside the UK to NI and evicting
those how have lived their fir 100's of years to give them land.... not
these days anyway.

  best

  LFB

  [1] If there even is such a beast; see the current row over
      race and various utterances regarding immigration that are
      currently shaking the Tories.  Chances in May^H^H^HJune?
      Cha, right.

I condone racism no more than I do  torture. Thankfully, the Conservatives
have no MPs in my country (Scotland)... but I expect Mr Rifkind (a
Conservative) will by my MP again come June.

Scott A