 Off-Topic / Debate / 10141
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:16:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Turkey and Israel are "free to take care of it". However,  both have a
history of ignoring human rights and murdering civilians in the process.

That's the way of blood feuds.  Or gang-warfare.  Or <your phrase of choice
here>!

Still, a less polemical tone might be more appropriate for someone in Great
Britian.  Britain is hardly a country without fault, historically speaking.
If the sun never set on the British empire, believe me -- it's control was
built upon atrocities with a human cost.  Don't get me started...

That was in the bad old days... most other countries were doing pretty much
the same - or wanted to. But sure, I'm still not proud of it. Anyhow, we
have rebranded ourselves as the "UK" :-)

  Heh.  It may be sobering to point out that the "brand" of
  UK was born in 1800, following the forced Act of Union with
  Ireland.  That's when the name becomes valid, and it starts
  a new era of incredible colonial bloodshed.

Indeed. But is was not until more recently untail it came into common usage.
Most of the the world still refers to the UK as Britain, or more annoyingly
England.

  But I'm not sure all of that is entirely past--it may only
  seem so because Britain's power has waned so much.  But the
  capital benefits gained from those atrocities has remained;
  just walk around the West End of London and gaze up at the
  Georgian, Victorian, and Edwardian buildings and monuments.

I do not doubt what you are saying. However, I have to say that the same
could be said for many other nation’s capitals. Further, I also have to
remind you that most of the developed world relies on the exploitation of
people and resources in the developing world for its wealth today. The UK
woke up to the fact that its sweets may well rely on slave labour just last
week when a ship full of child “slaves” destined for a cocoa plantation made
the news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1305000/1305547.stm

Scott A

  Speaking of senseless violence, I wonder what the protesters
  have gotten up to today...?

  best

  LFB