 Off-Topic / Debate / 10143
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:54:47 GMT

Larry, could you define what you mean by a terrorist? Do you mean like
Timothy McVey, the dozens of people at the Wacco compound, or rioters in the
streets of Los Angeles after the civil trial of the police who beat Rodney King?

Some people claim political grounds for their actions but can be thought of
as little more than common criminals.  When their numbers are significant
enough, their individual crimes may coalesce into a kind of civil
insurrection - a movement of a sort with real grievances they would like
redressed.  Where and how do you draw the line between each group?

This is a very good point. I took the time on Sunday to watch a programme
about a so called "hero of libertarian America" - Rany Weaver. From a UK
perspective this guy appeared to nothing better that a moron with a gun.
However, I could not help but draw parallels between the way he used his
kids & family as a shield to protect himself (basically putting his kids in
the line of fire) and what many claim the PLO is doing today. The only
difference is that poor Randy did not truly expect to come up against such a
bunch of clumsy fools.

Scott A