 Off-Topic / Debate / 10144
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 09:27:13 GMT

That was in the bad old days... most other countries were doing pretty much
the same - or wanted to.

Great! So now that your country has the benefits of conquest -- wealth and
power -- it is possible for it to show the "kinder and gentler" face of
colonialism -- the hypocrisy of the congenial tyrant. I'd just like you to
know that other countries do not feel about the U.K. as you might feel about it.

I assume you live in the USA. Does your economy, some would argue, not owe a
lot to slavery, exploitation of native Americans, pillaging of the
developing world by multi-nationals and destruction of the global
environment? I could well say to you at this point "the hypocrisy of the
congenial tyrant." - but I won't.

Scott A

Have you ever seen the "Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn"?  There is a scene in
this film where the character Ash just having come out of a bout of
possession with dead spirits is about to be killed by Annie...

ASH: No! No wait! Listen to me! I'm alright now. That thing is gone! Damn
it! I said I was alright! Are you listening to me? You hear what I'm saying?
I'm alright! I'm alright.

ANNIE: OK, maybe you are. But for how long?

See my point?

-- Richard