 Off-Topic / Debate / 10180
Re: Ok, why such anti-American sentiment? (Was Re: the metric system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 05:47:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
Ok, this is an honest question, although somewhat rhetorical, but I mean no
affront: Why, then, did Australia fight in the World Wars and in Vietnam with
America?  I understand the historical relationship between the UK and
Australia, and yes, I'm glad that Australia made a sacrifice with the
Allies...but, was it a sacrifice made purely of self-defense, purely of moral
sensibilities?  Was there a fear that if Europe should fall, then Australia's
economy would be dealt a terrible blow (as probably it would have)?  In WWII,
was there fear that Japan would invade Australia?  It seems that your Pacific
front was a matter of self-defense, but what of your European front?  Again,
what of Vietnam?  Did an Australian Red Scare lead to fear of an expanding
Asian communist empire?  Did Australia's national interests play a part in
conflicts even when your territory was not immediately endangered?

Point taken. Of course, Australia has never been in a position to establish
world-wide military and economic hegemony. I'm not saying it has been wrong
of the US to do so, but while the moral and political questions are similar
the global impact of the answers is quite different.

It often seems to me that America's sacrifices of blood are usually shrugged
off as just another instance of self-serving American selfishness.  And
frankly, that angers me.  Hey, I'm not here to defend the shame in my
country's past.  I don't wave the flag much, but I'm not ashamed to carry
it.  Blood was spilled. American G.I.'s went off to Europe, went off to the
South Pacific, because their government told them to do it, and because they
were *needed*.  Mothers lost their sons, wives lost their husbands, children
lost their fathers...as they did in Australia.  Sure, their was national
interests involved, but there was, ultimately, great national sacrifice on
the part of common men and women...just as in Australia.

I share your feelings on the personal tragedy of war.

Most people in the world make enormous contributions to the profits of
American corporations.

Indeed, but there is a difference between making voluntary contributions
because one likes the product, and being forced into the purchase of a
necessity, such as grain, due to monopoly control.  The latter is happening
to millions of American farmers - the rise of the rural ghetto - due to the
monopoly control of both the inputs and outputs of farm products by
agribusiness giants such as Pillsbury and ConAgra.  My point in bringing this
up is that robber-barron capitalism preys on the weak where ever they might
be, and these practices aren't the American domain, per se; corporate piracy
is war waged upon, primarily, the low-wage earners of society.  Most of the
really repugnant corporations -- the ones with the power to really exploit
and monopolize are the ones that have become *transnational*.  This is a
question of greed versus honesty, not American vs. native.  Plenty of non-
Americans love the almighty currency as well.

I agree, though I'd certainly like to hear the opinions of others who don't.

But most countries shake a fist at America, while keeping the other hand
open in case they need something.  Maybe that's wrong, but it feels that
way.

The angry gesture of the disempowered perhaps?

Sure, when Bolivia shakes its fist, I'll agree.  But do the Brittish, the
Germans, the French, the Canadians, maybe even the Australians, consider
themselves disempowered?  There is a lot of fist-shaking toward America in
countries that regard us with an air of cultural superiority

Brash assertion time: all countries in the world are either militarily or
economically disempowered by comparison with the US. And, on a totally
separate topic, can we really debate the overall mediocrity of American culture?

--DaveL (who would be quite happy to trim this discussion to any one of
these issues)