 Off-Topic / Debate / 10187
Re: Ok, why such anti-American sentiment? (Was Re: the metric system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:13:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

The angry gesture of the disempowered perhaps?

Sure, when Bolivia shakes its fist, I'll agree.  But do the Brittish, the
Germans, the French, the Canadians, maybe even the Australians, consider
themselves disempowered?  There is a lot of fist-shaking toward America in
countries that regard us with an air of cultural superiority

Brash assertion time: all countries in the world are either militarily or
economically disempowered by comparison with the US. And, on a totally
separate topic, can we really debate the overall mediocrity of American culture?

Seriously, I'm not sure what you mean: do you really want to debate the
mediocrity of American culture?  Since I've never been to Australia (and,
obviously, have therefore never spent an appreciable amount of time there), my
judgments as to the merits of Australian culture would no doubt be fraught with
inaccuracies, half-knowledge, media-formed impressions, and a general lack of
substance.  Unless you've spent a fair amount of time in the U.S., then I'd
offer that your judgements regarding the level of our cultural sophistication
would likewise be in error.  (But maybe thats not what you mean?)

--DaveL (who would be quite happy to trim this discussion to any one of
these issues)

Me too. And anyway, I enjoy learning about Australia - it's just the Europeans
that I'm pouty towards ;^)

james