 Off-Topic / Debate / 10100
Re: the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 14:31:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Culberson writes:
Christopher Tracey wrote:

yay or nay?

-chris

Abosolutely yay.  The US should get out of their redneck rut and realize
that they are decades behind the rest of the world when it comes to this
issue.

Sorry about that!

But isn't the Metric system an abomination in the eyes of God? After all,
the linear measure is based on human scientists gaining a true understanding
of the world and its workings. Whereas the linear measure in the Imperial
system is based on the size of  a royal (and therefore blessed by God, just
ask the church of england..) foot.

I guess I'm surprised to hear you come out on the side of science and
against the will of your god. <grin>

   You know, I was going to comment on that, then I saw
   that you already had.  (The part about Tim championing
   science, that is.)  I almost fell out of my chair when
   I read that!  :)  I was half prepared to read "cubits."

   Or are we just being evil, nasty trolls?  (Probably.)

   Anyways, I'm in complete agreement with the "yea" argument.
   But as someone else has mentioned, the conversion is now
   immobile, fixed at (in the example given) 1"=2.54cm (approx).
   But in the work I'm doing, involving survey and mapping,
   the units were a serious cause of problems and they remain
   the root of difficulties even today.  For example, even in
   the 1920s and 1930s, the length of the US foot and the UK
   foot *differed* from one another, albeit only by a few
   tenths of a millimeter, which was enough to screw up mixed
   surveys royally (see?  Bad pun!).  Add the metric system
   and you get a slight imprecision that grows with conversion.
   In geodetic measure, that's unacceptable.

   The last time, IIRC, that the meter changed definitively
   was 1873.  I think it got its current measure--based on the
   speed of light, which had, ironically, originally been determined
   by the standard bar in Paris--came into being recently, but the
   goal is still that standard manufactured in 1873 under 'ideal'
   conditions.  Manufacturing standards was big and expensive
   business before advanced optics!  ;)  Anyways, the upshot of
   this whole tirade is that the UK made the argument in the 1930s
   that conversion to the metric system would put their measures
   and standards in the hands of bodies outside Britain--e.g.,
   that awful Continental powers could decide to change the
   standards and leave the UK stranded.  The foot, they insisted,
   would never change and was controlled by His (at the time)
   Majesty's Government and His Majesty's scientists, not some
   pinko quiche-eating un-British snail-frying...well, you get
   the picture.

   It's probably not the same in the US, but I'm not surprised
   that some defend the imperial system on the basis of nationalism.
   Now that I think of it, it's closest to the furore over money
   decimalisation in Britain in 1970.  Who, of the Britons and even
   non-Britons among us, would dare champion a return to shillings
   and bob?  Maybe the US can point to its very early introduction
   of decimal currency--IIRC only the first or second incidence among
   the nations of the West--to get people to lay off about the
   measures thing.  We love our furlongs n' fathoms!

   (BTW: if anyone wants to research decimalisation, all of the
   documents concerning the Government and decimalisation have
   just been declassified by HMG and are available at the Public
   Record Office, Kew, Surrey.  Check out the website if you want:
   http://pro.gov.uk .)

   A related observation:

   I've noticed that people in Britain and, to a lesser extent,
   here in the Netherlands are absolutely unable to make change
   quickly.  They can do round numbers OK--i.e., 5.45 from 10.00--
   but if you buy something that's 9.23 and give the person behind
   the counter 10.03 they freak out.  It's amusing, but somewhat
   disturbing, but I chalk it up to the ease of metric--when you
   don't have complex maths in your workaday life, the speed of
   computation is naturally depressed. (Stephen Hawking and assoc-
   iates naturally excepted.)

   best

   LFB