 Off-Topic / Debate / *7501 (-20)
  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I agree, not all selfishness is bad, yet I believe it to be the root of most of what ails us. Any crime or perversion can be sifted down to an illicit focus on meeting a selfish desire. Again, our freedom only exists in our ability to respect (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) Why not? At least the CCP guy (yes, we have had a elected communist member of Parliment, if you americans are wondering...) he _stood by_ his principals, and voted against Canada entering WW2...(he knew we were going to war, but wanted a (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) I enjoy constructive reasoned debate, sure. (...) Actually, it's the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance. ie. C.R.C.A. (...) Actually I find the 22minute guy quite funny, including this particular bit. For those who would claim that such an (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) In my book, selfishness needs to be separated from "moral rot". Selfishness in and of itself is not bad (in fact, my proposal of just giving poor slobs money because it's cheaper than having them steal to get the money is based on pure (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) <snip> (...) I had a feeling I had incompletely communicated my stance. I do think that altruistic charity based on qualities like you list above is the most effective. My point is more that one needs to look at the entire system and examine (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) If a person is so adicted as to essentially be incompetant, then there clearly is a problem, however, I don't think Libertopia removes the options of prison or involuntary commitment to a treatment center, but the commitment needs to be based (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

First off the answer is an easy yes; however, a couple of points that need to be considered in this argument. 1. Who are we talking about when we say needy? Do we include those who refuse to work? and who makes this determination? My understanding (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3

I am not a registered Libertarian, but I feel my ideology closely matches theres so let me give these a shot. (...) Yes, and in a very short period of time an individual or company with such a limited scope would be a failure; but let society and (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) (you had to know this one was coming, Steve...) Ya, well, lets change his name to Doris :) (to those of you who don't follow Canadian Politics, the Canadian Reform Alliance Party (that's C.R.A.P., if you can follow the letters...) has in its (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) <snip> (...) Don't you find that somewhat illogical? For one, it assumes that Day will "lie, cheat and steal" (if I may use that expression) like Cretien has, but all evidence is to contrary. You say you're scared that Day will "impose" his (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Sweat shops in this country are primarily inhabited by illegal immigrants - since their actions are predicated on being "illegal", what protections do they have? As for third world country sweat shops - a people as a whole allow themselves to (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3.2

"Scott A" <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote in message news:G4pAKx.Lz5@lugnet.com... (...) Its looked messy for a long time :o) Almost as big of a mess as some people who don't know how to count have on their hands - just not on a world scale. :-) -- Tim (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) Yeah, sorry about that, my reaction was.. heavy handed. I don't really give two spits about any particular local candidate. I'm not solidly leaning in any other particular direction, but truly a Federal Reform government scares the screaming (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3.2

(...) Me too. That is why I stuck to quick questions. It does look messy though. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

I prefer "Would Libertopia cause the needy to get less?" Libertopia infers that it is accomplishable - that man is willing to re-distribute his wealth. The fact that man, today, is willing to have kids working in sweat shops in the developing world (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) The idea that any system will/can get rid of poor starving folks is naive, at best. It is impossible to do away with poverty. Mainly because in some, if not most, instances it is self-imposed. Some people just do not have the desire or courage (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3.2

"Scott A" <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote in message news:G4p7xF.Dzv@lugnet.com... (...) I read that as he'll answer one point, when that is said and done, move on to another one, so he's ignoring all the ones after the first until their time comes. Oh (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3.3

(...) I think this sort of market control is OK when choosing a car mechanic, or perhaps a plumber. But to expect a trial-and-error approach to work where health and education are at risk is a bit much for me. What if one can't afford a decent (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3

(...) Exactly. In theory, EVERYONE might decide "no Irish" and will only patronize No Irish establishments. To answer your question elsewhere, yes, schools could operate on a "no blacks" basis. I regard this as a much bigger point than the one that (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego

(...) OK, so corruption accumulates over time. This leads to a question: is better to cycle through politicians frequently, and spread low levels of corruption amongst a large number of people, or have just a few long-term politicians, and (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact