 Off-Topic / Debate / *6451 (-20)
  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Oops, looks like I misspoke(wrote). I just went back to the USPTO search page (URL) searched again with the "Registered" radio button selected (instead of "Both") and it didn't show up there, but showed up under "Pending." Thus, it appears (...) (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Just curious, how far off from completely paying for the bridge were the bonds and the $3.50 toll to pay them off? I don't see a problem with the government building roads and bridges if they use user fees to raise the money to build them, and (...) (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) To the extent that that e-mail forms a contract (which is relatively weak), and that e-mail has no specific provisions for review or renewal, I suspect you could continue using "webring" for the site(s)/system(s) described in that e-mail (...) (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Do you still have that e-mail? That would be a good thing. "Web ring" is an extremely descriptive mark, and if you realllly wanted to go to court, you might be able to argue fair use. But I certainly don't think it's worth that! (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) We're mostly all in agreement here, then. What we're doing is choice 1. I think choice 2 might be not so hot of an idea for the "general" ring (although I may set up one just for GoB if the rest of the 'smiths want me to) as it's divisive. Or (...) (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Check. The above is one of my fundamental axioms! EVERYTHING has a cost. The cost may not be visible to some participants but it is there. TANSTAAFL! Wishing away cost won't make it go away, there are no free goods. (...) Right, and I'd rather (...) (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message news:G13t90.194@lugnet.com... (...) servicemark (...) services (...) users (...) contain (...) word (...) This contradicts an email I got from a Webring representative a couple years ago, saying (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) <snip, extraction mine> In theory, they don't. (or rather, the cost is inherently shared between all participants by their very participation) The basic functionality of a webring is (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Webrings shouldn't cost that much money. It's not a portal service (in the current industry sense of the word). It's simply a linked-list collection of Web site URLs and descriptions, nothing more. If it gets really expensive, then it's not (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) According to the USPTO, Yahoo! (via GeoCities) has a registered servicemark on WEBRING, with pseudo marks WEB RING and WE BRING, in the goods and services category of "Computer software, namely a navigation tool that enables users of a global (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) Which is the definition that counts. (...) Yes, I suppose. But I do it from a screen that i'm not looking at anyway (I'm doing it right now as I type this... I clicked on an ad and switched away) which makes it only a teeny bit intrusive. (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo

(...) s/do you/did you/ Front page, search engine, "my" portal with stock price views and news. Oh, and I read their Reuters feed a lot. Yer typical "male aged 18-59" stuff. The ads were for Playboy and Maxim, FWIW. Porn by my definition. I have (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Why Yahoo is bad (Was: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo)

(...) Speaking for myself, I find what Yahoo is trying to do a tad offensive. I can't quite pin down exactly what it is about Yahoo, but it has something to do with how much leverage they are getting in the Web publishing market, the aggressiveness (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

Yes, I've seen those sets too, it was called "LEGO world family" or something. It had black duplo people, and I think chinese ones, too. --Tobias (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

[lugnet.general trimmed, while this isn't off-topic, it's definitely .debate!] (...) Also, <set:4285 Classic Value Bucket 4285>.[1] The US (North American?) Retail catalog tends to be well-balanced, as far as the models (people, not lego sets!) in (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

FUT lugnet.off-topic.debate, because this has less and less to do with Lego... (...) You know, I hear this said a lot, but just to play decil's advocate, it could easily be argued that small children also haven't learned that electrical sockets are (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Secret Agent Theme for 2001? (was: Re: New S@H Catalog)

(...) that's not .off-topic. ;) In any case, it would be doubly effective against dinosaurs, because they do have brains the size of peas. best Lindsay.nl (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

(...) Two points I need to make for others reading this. I don't agree with the tone of Scott's message, just the general concept that things have gotten better on the racism front. Hardly perfect, but much better. The second is the irony of my (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Secret Agent Theme for 2001? (was: Re: New S@H Catalog)

(...) Heh. Those Dino Island folks are pretty sharp, aren't they? (URL) Mark's Lego Creations (URL) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Secret Agent Theme for 2001? (was: Re: New S@H Catalog)

(...) While the following is almost absolutely useless, it's sort of amusing... Many years ago, we were playing with MS Flight Simulator, and were playing the WWI battle game. Someone decided to see how high they could fly the plane before running (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact