 Off-Topic / Debate / *23621 (-20)
  Re: March Madness?

(...) I don't think that the mere mention of a God connotates an invocation of that God. The pledge is directed towards the flag and to our nation-- "under God" is a description of that nation. All the phrase really means is that the majority of the (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: As a comedian, he makes a great Pseudopresident...

(...) You already know the answer to that one, Dave! (...) I think you can find lots of fitting words that don't violate the ToS, Dave! (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Reuters: "Oregon County Bans All Marriages - Period"

(...) amendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting any establishment of relgion, nor prophibiting the free exercise thereof..." -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: As a comedian, he makes a great Pseudopresident...

(...) "Bring it on!"?? I don't think it's folks against Bush that have a tainted view, but people who still beleive that this man has any leadership qualities, yet alone qualities needed to be president of the United States of America. Your options (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: As a comedian, he makes a great Pseudopresident...

(...) Really? If I claimed that you were a threat and then shot you dead, would you (from beyond) laugh along with me when I joked about my erroneous (or false) claim of threat? I admit that I hate Dubya just about as much as it is possible to hate (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: March Madness?

(...) Well, hold on. If the Pledge includes the ceremonial invocation of a deity, then in my view it's as much a prayer as Bismillah or The Lord's Prayer. (...) I agree that it would be pretty feeble (but politically convenient) for the Justices to (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: As a comedian, he makes a great Pseudopresident...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler wrote: (snip) (...) Ahem. This would be more of that "true prejudice" affecting your opinion stuff. George W. Bush would never mock or make light of the sacrifices he has asked American families to make. (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: March Madness?

(...) hehe Careful now: look closely at that symbol-- you might find another, more disturbing symbol inside it;-) (...) For good reason:-) (...) Some of his arguments were pretty lame. The pledge is a "prayer"? No wonder the justices seemed rather (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  As a comedian, he makes a great Pseudopresident...

From (URL) The Dreyfuss Report:> Iraq Big Joke to W. link So Iraq is a big joke to President Bush. The frat-boy president thinks that not finding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, at the cost of a nation ruined and tens of thousands killed, is a (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: March Madness?

(...) Heck with that--I'm going to initiate legislation to adopt that cool, gold "Atheist Atom" logo as the new National Symbol. Actually, I have to admit that it doesn't look good for the side of reason. From what I heard of yesterday's (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Reuters: "Oregon County Bans All Marriages - Period"

I found this interesting... (URL) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

(...) This is just American popular historical fantasy of the sort the Japanese would be proud of. There was nothing indiscriminate about the targetting of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the intent was not taking out factories and infrastructure. (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

(...) I wasn't actually saying that at all, although I'd happily agree that you could a sense of moral equivalence. But I wasn't commenting on your odd morality, or even the American revived doctrine of pre-emptive self-defense. I was simply (...) (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  March Madness?

I am doing some stretching and flexing in order to prepare for the (URL) Big Decision> Are you ready, Dave!? :-) JOHN (21 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

(...) The nuance is that terrorism is performed by violence exclusively, but you can break an enemy's morale using other tactics. Not to mention a great deal in fighting a war has to do with destroying the opponents' ability to inflict damage on (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message news:Hv3IF7.BuF@lugnet.com... (...) old (...) terrorism: "act (...) Hmm, by that definition, almost all acts of war are acts of terrorism. It is not practical in a military action to eliminate all (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

(...) All? It's just a wild guess. Of course both sides of a war will present arguments saying they're right, so they won't be of much help. Wars usually begin once conflicting interests can no longer be settled thru diplomatic channels, which are (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Parable ot the Tortured Debtor

(...) It must be noted, however, that once you draw upon contextual and historical guidelines to interpret an author's work, you are by definition no longer reading the work but are instead infusing it with material external to the work. Even (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sheikh Yassin

Don't make the mistake of assessing this event in isolation. The precedent has already been set; Israel has already apprehended a number of individuals (from Hamas members to Nazi war criminals) and put them on trial. Sharon did this because he does (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Parable ot the Tortured Debtor

(...) Sure. We would see it as accomplishing several things. In addition to acting as one-time, complete forgiveness (in contrast to repeated, limited sacrifices), more significantly by Christ standing in our place on the cross, we are then able to (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact