 Off-Topic / Debate / 23616
Re: March Madness?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:25:21 GMT

   From what I heard of yesterday’s transcripts, the Justices don’t seem too moved by Newdow’s position. On the plus side, however, Newdow has by all accounts represented his case admirably, in marked contrast to the old “a lawyer who represents himself” adage.

   Some of (Newdow’s) arguments were pretty lame. The pledge is a “prayer”? No wonder the justices seemed rather unimpressed.

Well, hold on. If the Pledge includes the ceremonial invocation of a deity, then in my view it’s as much a prayer as Bismillah or The Lord’s Prayer.

   He probably doesn’t even have the right to represent his daughter in the first place, but I do hope that the case isn’t thrown out for that reason.

I agree that it would be pretty feeble (but politically convenient) for the Justices to reject his claim because of a murky custody issue. He apparently has custody 10 days per month, and he probably pays child support. Why shouldn’t he have a say how is daughter is instructed in matters of religious belief?

   And speaking of his child, did you know that he claimed to a judge that he became her father because he was date-raped by the girl’s mother? Cuckoo.

Where’d you hear that? I don’t think it’s relevant to the case. And what if it’s true, for that matter? Would it be just as funny if the girl’s mother claimed that she’d been date-raped by Newdow?

   One thing that really annoys me (and is a sign of true prejudice) is that every single news report of Newdow’s case uses the word “atheist” somewhere in the first line, often instead of his name. Atheism is nothing to be ashamed of, of course, but it would be like saying “Black Man Joe Smith Argues Race-discrimination Case Before Court,” as if “black” or “atheist” is legitimately central to the litigant’s position.

Hmmmm. I don’t know, Dave! I don’t think he is acting in his daughter’s best interest-- the mom is a Christian and probably so is the daughter, so the pledge is hardly an issue for her. So why is he doing this? I think it has more to do with him and his beliefs.

His daughter’s best interest may be a matter for further consideration, but I don’t think the mother’s faith (sincere though it be) necessarily determines what is the best faith-related interest for her child. I don’t expect that the daughter has had the benefit of years’ worth of critical self-assessment during which to formulate her views on faith, so it would seem to me that the best course would be to expose her to the views of both of her parents as even-handedly as possible, letting her decide for herself when she’s ready.

As far as Newdow’s motives, who can say for certain? I admit that a part of me looks forward to the day when Matthew brings his science book home from school with an anti-evolution disclaimer inside! If you think I’m cordial and restrained on ot-debate, just wait until I storm the school board!

But I would guess that this *is* rooted in Newdow’s belief--from everything I’ve seen and read about him, he believes that government should play no role in the endorsement of religious observance, and he believes that the Pledge qualifies as such endorsement. I happen to agree with him on both counts.

Dave!