 Off-Topic / Debate / 23614
Re: March Madness?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:53:08 GMT

   I am doing some stretching and flexing in order to prepare for the Big Decision

Are you ready, Dave!?

Heck with that--I’m going to initiate legislation to adopt that cool, gold “Atheist Atom” logo as the new National Symbol.

hehe Careful now: look closely at that symbol-- you might find another, more disturbing symbol inside it;-)

   Actually, I have to admit that it doesn’t look good for the side of reason.

For good reason:-)

   From what I heard of yesterday’s transcripts, the Justices don’t seem too moved by Newdow’s position. On the plus side, however, Newdow has by all accounts represented his case admirably, in marked contrast to the old “a lawyer who represents himself” adage.

Some of his arguments were pretty lame. The pledge is a “prayer”? No wonder the justices seemed rather unimpressed. He probably doesn’t even have the right to represent his daughter in the first place, but I do hope that the case isn’t thrown out for that reason.

And speaking of his child, did you know that he claimed to a judge that he became her father because he was date-raped by the girl’s mother? Cuckoo.

   One thing that really annoys me (and is a sign of true prejudice) is that every single news report of Newdow’s case uses the word “atheist” somewhere in the first line, often instead of his name. Atheism is nothing to be ashamed of, of course, but it would be like saying “Black Man Joe Smith Argues Race-discrimination Case Before Court,” as if “black” or “atheist” is legitimately central to the litigant’s position.

Hmmmm. I don’t know, Dave! I don’t think he is acting in his daughter’s best interest-- the mom is a Christian and probably so is the daughter, so the pledge is hardly an issue for her. So why is he doing this? I think it has more to do with him and his beliefs.

JOHN