 Off-Topic / Debate / *1526 (-20)
  Re: Photo Radar

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:34:52 GMT, James Brown uttered the following profundities... (...) We've had these in Europe for about 15 years now. Police love them, frees them up to catch proper criminals. Motorists hate them, obviously! The ones in the UK (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Was this theory ever put to the test? Or was the verdict decided by a committee of experts? Over here, businesses finance employees' education frequently. Is it different in England? Those businesses must have a strange motive. Coal mining (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Nice theory and something that got debated a lot over here the last decade or so. The verdict seems to be that if the Government does nothing then businesses often don't either, even when it looks like it should be in their interests to do so. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]

(...) It's unfortunate that the labels have become so skewed. I am a liberal because I believe in liberty. I am not a conservative because I think the present system needs to be changed. Yet if I claim to be liberal it means I support income (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

I will look at it soon, right now its off to a wedding! (NOT MINE, yet!) Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]

(...) It's a simplified definition, I think you are talking about direct democracy, I was talking more of a constitutional democracy, where the people have certain rights (a.k.a. Bill of Rights) and protection from being murdered and so forth. A (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

(...) No. Why, should I? My initials are already LP... (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

(...) You have to have adversity for the hero to overcome, but in the end you have a happy ending, or your picture won't do as well. (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

Have you ever considered just going by "Larry the Libertarian"? :) (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) It HAS the resources, if you're referring to the one I think you are. But it spends them on grand cathedrals and imposing monasteries rather than on helping the poor. (...) Right, far easier to be self righteously charitable with other (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

(...) It certainly sells better on the silver screen than optimism. :-P Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Extropianism

Extropians Rock! (...) is really just Max More's (he's the founder of the movement) summation of extropianism, but it's a great start. I was on the extropians mailing list shortly after it started in '91 or '92 (I don't recall) and stayed with it (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Those aren't going to be the people who are most attracted to Libertopia. (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]

An unlimited democracy with no bounds as to what the majority can decide is indeed flawed. Further, it's unworkable beyond a certain size, and leads to factionalism. A constitutionally limited representative or republican democracy is much better. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Right, but maybe there are other fields than IT. I just picked that because lots of us are familiar with it. If you can speak clearly, you can work as a bellboy. You can wait tables. You can assemble widgets in a plant and make more than (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]

(...) In what way do you disagree with my take on democracy? It's the rule of the people - by vote - so as long as 51% of the people who vote think it's OK to kill me, then politically (if not morally) it is. Right? Wrong? Libertopia would be an (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Photo Radar

(...) Yes, I can tell you right now that I am splitting hairs with respect to this topic. I have very strong opinions about the topic and want to see the government work for every cent that they will get from me on this ticket. I am unsure of how (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]

Larry, Like I said, the fetal tissue research I did not like. I think that is a BIG one. You might be surprised, Larry, but here is my views on what you said: 1) According to the Bible, Homosexuality is a sin and is detestable to God. (I can verse (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Perl rules!

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) It's a bigger gun, letting you shoot bigger things or alternatively make a larger whole where your foot used to be. I too like Perl, also C++. But my preference is for things like Delphi, Jade or Forte when I (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

I'll again add my "in Liberatopia, life won't suck because someone will step in and help the needy" comment to Larry's comments below: (...) I would assume that religions which feel that all potential humans should be given their chance will pool (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact