 Off-Topic / Debate / 1507
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:16:58 GMT

I'll again add my "in Liberatopia, life won't suck because someone will
step in and help the needy" comment to Larry's comments below:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
If you as a parent make that choice, you need to face the consequences.
Maybe your religion says that you should not have an abortion under any
circumstances. Maybe you'd rather put up with the potential
disadvantages instead of snuffing out who knows what potential. We'd be
far poorer as a society if Steven Hawking's parents had decided a priori
not to have him, for example, although I am sure all of us (except Bill
Clinton) feel his pain and wish he did not have to struggle as he does.

I would assume that religions which feel that all potential humans
should be given their chance will pool resources to provide for these
people. In fact, at least one of the religions which has this take on
life has a larger membership than most countries, and therefor should
easily have the resources to provide these services.

To the point of irresponsible parents, that seems a legal matter. The
last resort is to take the children away and put them up for adoption.
As I alluded to in a previous post, it's my belief that adoptable
children will be scarcer in Libertopia and thus we will have less
"terminally unadoptable" children.

I definitely agree here.

--
Frank Filz