 Off-Topic / Debate / 1499
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 05:33:00 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Never been chronically ill, have you?

You don't _get_ health insurance once you are. Period.

Make sure you have it first. Period.

What about children?  Congenital birth defect?  Irresponsible parents?

(Aint it always the hard questions that are so hard?)

I agree that the hard questions (and the fringe effects) are hard.
Libertopia isn't perfect. But I'd submit that we're better off with some
fringe unfortunate outcomes instead of every single person in the US
getting 1/2 their income on average taken away to try to repeal
causality. (1)

Having said that, I'd say that now that genetic testing is advancing to
the point that we can (or soon will be able to) screen for almost all
birth defects at a very early point, the decision to carry a child to
term knowing that it will have some disadvantages is a free will
decision. (as is the decision not to find out what defects might be in
play in your situation.)

If you as a parent make that choice, you need to face the consequences.
Maybe your religion says that you should not have an abortion under any
circumstances. Maybe you'd rather put up with the potential
disadvantages instead of snuffing out who knows what potential. We'd be
far poorer as a society if Steven Hawking's parents had decided a priori
not to have him, for example, although I am sure all of us (except Bill
Clinton) feel his pain and wish he did not have to struggle as he does.

But the point is that it becomes your choice as parents, not the state's
responsibility, to provide for your child. Just as it was 100 years ago
and for all of history before that.

When given full information including good understanding of effects,
people tend to make better decisions.

To the point of irresponsible parents, that seems a legal matter. The
last resort is to take the children away and put them up for adoption.
As I alluded to in a previous post, it's my belief that adoptable
children will be scarcer in Libertopia and thus we will have less
"terminally unadoptable" children.

1 -I'll pass on impossible dreams, thanks. The universe of what IS
possible is so large.
lugnet.