 Off-Topic / Debate / 1513
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:30:03 GMT

An unlimited democracy with no bounds as to what the majority can
decide  is indeed flawed. Further, it's unworkable beyond a certain
size, and leads to factionalism.

A constitutionally limited representative or republican democracy is
much better. The constitution should sharply limit the powers of the
state and explicitly state that all powers and rights not granted to the
government whether enumerated or not, are reserved to the people.

Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
<can government be entirely privatized? Reference Vinge stories.>

Interesting thesis, but not one I'm ready to publicly advocate just yet.
I'd rather go along with a core monopoly of power notion while we strip
away the rest of the government... then see, rather than try to start
anew in a time of anarchy as occurred in Vinge's stories.

As I've said before, I feel that if people are debating whether the post
office can be privatized, they've conceded the easier to privatize
things, and if they're debating whether police and defense can be,
they've conceded EVERYTHING else, as those are the very hardest.

lugnet.