 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2738
Re: MegaBloks announces Mobile Suit Gundam License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:35:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Danny Staple wrote:

I agree that the plates and bricks don't always line up laser-straight with one
another, but honestly I kind of like that.

Each to their own I suppose. Outside of the odd mech or spaceship, I
generally build robots and machines. Not lining up straight could be a
major problem if a mechanism snags something. Of course for more
aesthetic models, it actually may add character.

Maybe that's the crux of it.  I've never been much for building robots or
gear-based machines, so perfect tolerances aren't really a factor.  I love the
slight variations when building walls or hulls, kind of like the way Star Trek
vessels are visibly composed of hundreds of distinct hull-plates.

What set did you buy, out of curiosity?

It was a space themed set, with some alien minifigs, and in crazy
green and purple colours.  There was a light up laser component. I
built a ship with the set -
http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=15.

Ah, yes--that's from the Planetoids line.  Lots of coolness to recommend that
series, but Mega Bloks hadn't yet found its stride, quality-wise.  I think that
they were still just trying to distinguish themselves stylistically from LEGO.

It was a good few years ago, like I said. I probably have to accept
that Mega Bloks may have moved on a bit. The positive aspect of the
set was that there were peices that Lego didnt have, which was pretty
much what got me to have a guy at buying it at all. But I was pretty
cautious before integrating it or using it with any Lego, and after
those kind of tests, decided not to, and not to keep the set.

As you say, there are a lot of cool elements, but on the whole the quality
wasn't yet up to snuff.  If you find a more recent brick-based Mega Bloks set on
deep discount, you might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement since then.
After all, the Planetoids came out in 1997 and 98, and eight years is a long
time!

Dave!