 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2737
Re: MegaBloks announces Mobile Suit Gundam License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:59:57 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Anthony Sava wrote:
When the MB Dragons line first came out, I bought several sets, being a dragon
fan.  I put the sets together and they look good, even if they are built out of
GIGANTIC pieces.

The sets came with some 2x4 bricks as well.  I tried to put them together - some
did, some didn't.  A few of the 2x4 bricks wouldn't stay together - there was no
friction between them at all.  Other bricks were so hard to put together I had
to put my entire body weight on them to click together - only to later have to
use a pair of pliers to separate them.  Mind you these were bricks bought from a
brand new, undamaged set.

No, Mega Bloks are of inferior quality to LEGO.  I've never had a new LEGO brick
act any differently than any other brick in my collection.

--Anthony

As the owner and builder of about 3000 LEGO sets and 200 MB sets, I have done a
lot of comparing the two brands over the years.

MB from last millenium is definately of poor quality, just like you describe.
MB from the Dragon sets does earn some bad marks, especially in the wall
elements, that are really hard to build together. However, I have never had any
problems with the "rugged" 2x4 and 1x2 stone bricks; they fit nicely, and they
stay together.
Now, I've got a lot of LEGO from the 60'ties and 70'ties (I'm talking ABS LEGO
here, I know about the warping of the older bricks). If I try and put two stacks
of these bricks together and compare them, they do not end up having the same
height. I don't know if the chemical yellowing proces also makes slight changes
in the molecular density, or if the quality control was worse back then, but my
point being, that all brands have room for improvement.

MB has improved their quality, but is still not up to the LEGO standard; as long
as they are improving, then that's fine with me.
What really worries me is the fact that LEGO are out-sourcing production now -
so are LEGO still improving, or are we going to see more quality slips like the
Knights Bus color variations, and the many correction sheets that are popping up
in the LEGO building instructions?

On a side note, I have collected a number of other clone brands; most of them
have really bad quality bricks, but some does surprise with both excellent set
designs and high quality bricks; this is even true of some of the infamous
Chinese clone brands.

MB is still a notch behind LEGO, but also still a notch in front of other
clones; and for me the present quality of MB is sufficient to most of my builds.

regards,
Arne, Copenhagen