 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2733
Re: MegaBloks announces Mobile Suit Gundam License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:56:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Christopher Snead wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Gregory wrote:

snip

Second, if you’d taken the time to build one of those sets or even the Blok Bots mechs, you’d know that they hold together very well, thanks.

I have to at least partially disagree with you here. I remember buying a blok bots set many years ago (yes, long before Exoforce, Titan XP, and Life on Mars). I remember being particularly excited about the joint technology, and the design was good. But when I built the set, the fit was poor (compaerd to Lego), and often when I tried to bend a joint on an arm or leg, the whole limb would just come off. I haven’t purchased a Megabloks set since.

Those very first batch of Blok Bots were pretty bad. However the second generation of Blok Bots was right around the time Mega Bloks had a rather large quality jump. They are still not as good as Lego but they are a lot closer than the early Mega Bloks sets were.

I’m hoping that over the years they’ve improved on the fit and finish of the pieces; but I’m not encouraged. I will most certainly buy the Gundam set, but I will also attempt to rebuild it out of lego parts. Good design, though - I’m hoping that competition will challenge Lego to keep its design standards as high as its manufacturing standard.

Competition breeds better product all around. Take a look at the new Cobi/Best-lock sets. The plastic, color, and clutch quality in those is near Lego (the shape/size tolerences are a little lower but still easily on par with the newer Mega Bloks sets), a far cry from the old Best-lock sets. Later,
   Chris

-Mike Petrucelli