 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2732
Re: MegaBloks announces Mobile Suit Gundam License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:07:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Danny Staple wrote:
On 24/06/06, Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote:

Second, the bricks aren't as low quality as you probably think, and many of Mega
Bloks' designs equal or exceed those of LEGO.  Yes, Mega Bloks makes
considerable use of BURPS and POOPS, but the ProBuilder line showed the
remarkable versatility of conventional bricks, far beyond anything that LEGO was
doing at the time.

Sadly my experience of Mega Bloks was pretty bad. I also had issues of
actually getting them to stick together sometimes. Have your ever
tried stacking 8 or so Mega Bloks 2x1 plates? Then do the same with
Lego ones. Now run your finger over them - or even just visually
inspect them. The Lego stack will be smooth seamed, and lined up. The
Mega Bloks one (assuming they are still stuck together by this time)
will be misaligned, and some bricks refuse to fit flush to others.

I agree that the plates and bricks don't always line up laser-straight with one
another, but honestly I kind of like that.  I've never had any major problems as
a result, though I acknowledge that the fit can sometimes be a little tight.

Now try building (for each system) 2 stacks of 4 2x1s. The two Lego
stacks will be identical in height. The Mega Bloks ones may well be
slightly out by a couple of Millimeters, an error that gets worse as
you add more to a build.

Really?  A couple of millimeters after just 4 bricks?  Sorry, but that's simply
not consistent with my experience.  Perhaps you wound up with a fault set of
bricks, but a variance that great would make it impossible to build some of the
things that I *have* built.

What set did you buy, out of curiosity?

Dave!