 Marketplace / Theory / 497
Re: Fair Lego Seller's site?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:49:49 GMT

1. ADVERTISEMENT: You item must be listed as an actual auction and not as
an advertisement for your item or service. We allow goods or services
being offered to advertise a business, however, eBay does not allow
auction listings to be used as advertisements for soliciting potential
customers for an item or service by offering it for direct purchase (that
is,  bypassing the auction format).

By this definition there are MANY auctions going on for computers and
software that violate the TOS, as I've seen many auctions that ofer a link
to a straight sale (at a higher cost) if you want it now.

This says:
* You can advertise a business
* Your business cannot sell an item or offer a service

Actually, it means that you cannot offer an item or service for direct sale
within your auction listing.  Your business can do whatever it wants...as
long as it doesn't try to make a direct sale from ebay's server.

We have several reasons for the ending of auctions, ALL OF WHICH ARE NOT
DISPUTABLE.

This statement should be the most disturbing, as it basically gives eBay the
right to do whatever it pleases.  All they have to do is say that rule xyz
was violated and that's it.  With no provision for dispute they don't have
to prove anything.

In the context of a Fair Lego Sellers site, for that page to be linked • directly
from an eBay auction, I think it would have to be pretty tame. If it had a • list
of all the less scrupulous individuals and where to get Lego cheaper than • on
eBay (S@H), then I think they would pull the plug.

I don't think the rule discussed above would even apply, as such a proposed
site wouldn't be considered a business.  eBay probably would pul the plug on
it for circumventint their feedback system.  If that didn't do it them
someone would complain and eBay would kill it anyway.

If the page just had information on known trusted sellers, then that would • be
less controversial. If it had the other information as a link to another • site
then I don't think that they could touch it. Or at least, they shouldn't • be
able to!

Big problem here for the site administrator and the host party.  If I'm not
on the list (and can demonstrate that I am being purposely excluded vs.
being overlooked) then I have a good chance of winning a lawsuit if I can
show the following:

- I'm not violating eBay's TOS
- I deliver the products I advertise at the agreed upon cost
- my exclusion from your list cost me a sale or a bid that would have
increased the price paid to me

The bottom line is that within the confines of eBay, they're the only ones
who can define a good seller.  Although we can influence this through the
feedback system eBay can (and probably would) delete neutral or negative
feedback that they deemed as frivolous or without merit.  But wait...doesn't
eBay say they won't mess with feedback?  Don't count on it!  I accidentally
double posted feedback for a seller once and they deleted one of the entries
within a day.

If you want to educate ignorant buyers the only safe way to do so is to
contact them after the transaction is complete (after the buyer posts
positive feedback indicating that they have their winnings) and advise them
that they could have bought from S@H for cheaper.

And that's my 2 cents worth :-)
Will

Visit the Lego Beach Fire and Rescue Service
http://www.bbnp.com/userpages/willhess/