 Marketplace / Theory / 488
Re: Lego Airplane #1775 Arrives!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:33:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
This seems a neat idea. I think if the site did not directly offer to
sell anything, eBay would be hard pressed to claim that a link to it
from a listing was to a "competing auction site".

However it may fall afoul of the disparaging other sellers rule that
seems to be in place.

It appears you can't even link to a straight sale site.
Here's something I came across tonight:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html
Listing Policies
"Listing Techniques that circumvent eBay's fee structure
Users may not use systems or techniques to interfere with the proper working of
the eBay site,
which includes the circumvention of the eBay fees. Some examples include:

     Listings with low bid prices, but unreasonably high shipping costs
     Dutch Avoidance (see description below)
     Selling an item that requires an additional purchase from the seller
     Items offered for direct sale (not through eBay)
     Catalog sales (see description below)
     Listings with an e-mail address or domain name in the title

Policy: These types of listings are not permitted and will be ended. The
insertion fee will be
automatically credited for that listing."

Hmmmm....."Items offered for direct sale (not through eBay)"
Does that mean all those sites that say "come visit our site to see what else
we have for sale", are now outlawed? I haven't looked at the comic section in a
while, but it seems there were many links to people's online stores. I'm sure
that goes on in almost every category.

And as far as Larry's catalog auction being cancelled, here's what they say
about catalogs:

Catalog Sales
Listings of catalogs from which buyers may order further items directly are
prohibited. The seller will usually offer the catalog for low bid prices and
complete offline sales for items found in the catalog, which subsequently
circumvents our fees.

That would explain why old catalogs are ok. Nothing in an old catalog is
available to be sold which would circumvent their fees.(Sears Wishbook catalogs
are pretty popular. This years is pretty cruddy. Not just because there is no
Lego, but the cover has an *extreme* close up of a kid - I got one in the mail
with a boy and another with a girl.) Anyway...eBay seems to be cracking down on
anything that can get in the way with them getting moola. Which can be argued
they are a business and that's what businesses do, but there are a growing
number of sites out there that do the same thing for free. If eBay strictly
enforces the new rules, I believe the free sites will grow in popularity.

Enough rambling...
Julie